Friday, June 17, 2011

Girls Scout Experience in Africa. Digital Storytelling #1

I would like to tell you my experience as a girl scout in a country in Africa. I was about 14 years old when a friend of mine asked me if I ever heard about scouts, I told her that didn't but would like to know. She explained to me that our group was different because we were going to be Catholic Scouts, we weren't going to be paid for what we were going to do. She told me that we were going to help people with necessities, lack of food, water, clothes, and so on. I found it interesting and thought that I should give a try. 
One day I woke up  and I went to the first meeting, I was feeling very nervous, and shame, my friends were asking with there was anything wrong with me I couldn't even talk. until today don't understand why. As the time passed by, I realized how happy, serious, playful, open and respectful the people of that group were. Then I started to be more open and actually talk to them. 
The group always had this thing what we call scout camping, but different from the other scout group, we use to do camping to help poor people, so we could go out of town for 10 days or more and live like a solder I would say. I remember the first time I went camping I came back home sick, with malaria. My mum got really mad and she told me it was the first and last time I would go camping. I cried like a little baby. 
The first camping was the best experience ever, we have to walk to the campus for more than 13km, and couldn't eat or drink water on our way.  We had to carry the bags with our clothes and everything very heavy stuff. I thought I would die, which I think I did for a moment because I fainted. thought everything was okay after all... The first camping was only for 5 days and in these five days I lived something that I never lived before, something fantastic, I learned lots of things that I didn't know because I had never sleep a way from my family with a group of strangers. I leaned how to survive without food, I went to jungle looking for food as a scout activity it was crazy but I enjoyed it so bad... 
On my second and last camping was even more excited, because the camping was more far way from home, we actually had to take a bus ans it was about 300km away from home. My mum did not in any way let me go, but i insisted. I got very surprise with what I saw there. People that did not sleep or eat for days. children who were crying because they're lack of food. Parents without knowing what to do... It was the sadist think I have ever seen. We as a scout group, had to take some food from home and clothes to give to these kids and parents so that they could have something to eat for  some days. From their home to the villages they had to walk about 12km everyday because there was the only place they could get food from. I remember that we ran out of food and we had to go to the villages and buy it. I thought that is was near so I volunteer to go, and on the way I was always asking are we there yet and the worse thing was that there was a lot of sand which made it more harder to walk. I felt really bad about that situation, seeing people with no food and I everyday was to throw food away. seeing them drinking dirty water while at Home I play with it. From that camping I started give a value for the things I had, and say thank to God that I have. That image of the children still in my head have been more than 6 years already. When we were going back home, I cried for leaving these children. I promised them that one day I'll go back and help them, and I'm willing to do so, as soon as I can. 
 
I had to stop going to this group when I left my country to come to Japan. It was sad because I was really loving the experience. Usually as a scout their is some kind of graduation or signal for levels. When I entered in the group I did have anything that would demonstrate that I was a girl scout, I had 6 months of training until I got my first Yellow kerchief it meant that I was the small wolf and a beginner for the long journey.  The wolf were considered to be strong, free and happy. it represented youth and determination. The Wolf slogan: THE BEST WILL.  
After 6 more months and lots of experience I was upgraded and consider exploitative, and gained a new kerchief with green color. This color means progression and hope. After I received it I started to teach the new kids that were coming in the group, I became the teacher of the new wolfs it was a good experience sharing my knowledge with them. Teach them about what is life, how to do to survive in the worst situation and how to value the things they have. How to be strong and not fear anything. The slogan changed to: ALWAYS IN ALERT. 

There is 3 more steps in the scout group unfortunately I haven't reach that path yet, but I'm planing to continue. these are the  pioneers, leaders and walkers
   I really hope that you'll enjoy my story...

5 comments:

  1. As a parent of several girl scouts, I'm very interested to read your story here. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to read the text with the background image.

    Your theme can either be customized to make it more readable or a new template can be chosen with a solid background.

    Or maybe changing the font size and color would make the difference. Feel free to ask me about how to make such tweaks in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting story!!
    I'd like to try something like that!!
    Keep posting=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you annavolya23 is very nice of you. Where r u from and where r u at? u should try to find institutes or scout groups in your time im sure is not very hard to find. if u want i can help you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for changing the template. Your great description of girl scouting in Africa is much easier to read.

    I think I can relate to your experiences as I have three daughters who are in Brownies and Girl Scouts.

    Every year for the past three years I've accompanied their patrol on an overnight hike. It is a very difficult journey but also very rewarding to walk back in to Tokyo as the sun is rising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the story! Very nice story! I never been in the scouts and I always wanted to be.. Everytime I read about it I regret that I couldnt join.

    ReplyDelete